According to ABC News,
In the early 1960s, America's top military leaders reportedly drafted plans to kill innocent people and commit acts of terrorism in U.S. cities to create public support for a war against Cuba.1
A 1962 document indicates the strategy of Northwoods,
US military intervention will result from a period of heightened US-Cuban tensions which place the United States in the position of suffering justifiable grievances. World opinion, and the United Nations forum should be favorably affected by developing the international image of the Cuban government as rash and irresponsible, and as an alarming and unpredictable threat to the peace of the Western Hemisphere.2
Tactics would include,
(1) Start rumors (many). Use clandestine radio.
(2) Land friendly Cubans in uniform “over the fence” to stage attack on US base.
(3) Capture Cuban (friendly) saboteurs inside the base.
(4) Start riots near the base main gate (friendly Cubans)
(5) Blow up ammunition inside the base; start fires.
(6) Burn aircraft on air base (sabotage)
(7) Lob mortar shells from outside of base into base. Some damage to installations.
(8) Capture assault teams approaching from the sea or vicinity of Guantanamo City.
(9) Capture militia group which storms the base
(10) Sabotage ship in harbor; large fires - - naphthalene
(11) Sink ship near harbor entrance. Conduct funerals for mock victims.3
The document shares some specific ideas for false-flag terrorism:
A Remember the Maine incident could be arranged in several forms:
a. We could blow up a ship in Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba.
b. We could blow up a drone (unmanned vessel) anywhere in the Cuban waters…The presence of Cuban planes or ships merely investigating the intent of the vessel could be fairly compelling evidence that the ship was taken under attack... Casualty lists in the newspapers would cause a helpful wave of national indignation…We could develop a communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami areas, in other Florida cities and even in Washington…the terror campaign could be pointed at Cuban refugees seeking haven in the United States. We could sink a boat load of Cubans enroute to Florida (real or simulated). We could foster attempts on lives of Cuban refugees in the United States...4
The Joint Chiefs of Staff even discuss attacking innocent American civilians:
It is possible to create an incident which will demonstrate convincingly that a Cuban aircraft has attacked and shot down a chartered civil air liner enroute from the US to Jamaica, Guatemala, Venezuela or Panama. The destination would be chosen only to cause the flight plan route to cross Cuba. The passengers could be a group of college students off on a holiday, or any group of persons with a common interest to support chartering a non-scheduled flight.5
President Kennedy blocked the operation. A year later, he was assassinated.
If President Kennedy's staff was willing to murder innocent American citizens to provoke war, is it that far-fetched to suggest that members of the federal government did so on September 11th?
- Rupp, David, "U.S. Military Wanted to Provoke War With Cuba", ABC News, May 1, 2001. http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92662 (accessed May 28, 2007).
- “Justification for US Military Intervention in Cuba”, Joint Chiefs of Staff Memorandum for the Secretary of Defense, March 13 1962, p. 5. Available at http://www.propagandamatrix.com/northwoods.pdf.
- Ibid, p. 10-1.
- Ibid, p. 11.
- Ibid, p. 13.